Super Tuscans & Medieval Wonders
With lush rolling hills, medieval towns and meandering roads keeping it all together, both Tuscany and Umbria are a walker’s idyll. There is something eminently peaceful in wandering through hilltop towns that have stood watch here since the Middle Ages, passing vines tended by generations of winemakers, and savouring traditional cuisine made of the freshest local ingredients. Believe us, once you experience this medieval magic, you’ll never want to leave.
Tuscany & Umbria Walking is a signature B&R Walking trip—expertly guided, small groups, premium hotels.
Spoleto to Florence
6 Days / 5 Nights
Price per person from: $4,795
Single supplement: $700
See departure dates for exact pricing
Choose a Date
Day by Day
Take a guided walking tour of the historic center of Spoleto before heading to Monteluco for an introduction to the local cuisine. Tonight we’ll dine al fresco with Spoleto’s magnificent duomo as our backdrop.
Drive across the Tiber River Valley to arrive in Spello, a walled valley town with ancient Roman roots. Walk into Assisi following the sentiero degli ulivi or “olive tree path,” and stopping to sample some of the local olive oil at a frantoio, or traditional olive oil press.
Take in the magnificent views from the slopes of Monte Subasio and enjoy a lunch of the local torta al testo. Spend the afternoon in the hotel’s renowned spa before enjoying a night out on the town.
Cross the border into Tuscany to enjoy spectacular views of Lake Trasimeno and walk through the rolling Tuscan countryside. We are welcomed into the home of a charming local family for lunch, where we’ll sample Mamma Dina’s unforgettable homemade pasta.
Retrace a Roman road through vineyards and olive groves toward Cortona to spend the day as you please. Indulge in an exclusive final night celebratory dinner in a famed winery which opens its doors just for us.
After a farewell breakfast at the hotel, drive to the train station in Florence in time to coincide with departures south to Rome. Arrivederci!
Palazzo Leti, Spoleto
Meticulously restored to its original antiquated beauty, the Palazzo Leti offers an unforgettable hotel experience. Consisting of 12 rustic-yet-elegant rooms and located in the heart of equally historic Spoleto, guests will marvel at the architecture, noble luxury and sweeping views (including the sacred Monteluco Mountain) that this luxurious property offers. View hotel website »
Nun Assisi Relais e Spa Museum, Assisi
Nestled in the very heart of Assisi, this hotel seamlessly blends archaic 1stC Roman pillars with state-of-the-art amenities for a luxurious pampering experience. The dining area features cross-vaulted ceilings and décor that also echoes the ages. Each guest room in this reconstructed Saint Catherine’s convent is unique and is a masterful blend of design and history. View hotel website »
Villa di Piazzano, Cortona
This 15thC manor house, once belonging to a Tuscan cardinal, is located in the countryside just outside the town of Cortona, on the border between Tuscany and Umbria. It has been beautifully restored and overlooks endless olive groves and wheat fields. Guests are warmly welcomed by the Italian-Australian owners, whose garden is the perfect spot to take in the sunset. View hotel website »
This trip is rated Moderate. We walk on wide, well-maintained trails in Umbria and Tuscany. The average daily distance is 11 km (7 mi.). We have some steep climbs with stunning views and a few steep downhills. The B&R van is always nearby, if you feel you need a lift—though it may not be able to access some portions of the routes.
Walking Sticks &
Included with all walking trips are Leki telescoping walking sticks and custom-made padded hip holsters, which comfortably carry one full half-litre water bottle. And while the walking sticks get “recycled” for use by another B&R traveller, the holsters are yours to keep at trip’s end.
- All hotel accommodation
- All breakfasts, four lunches, four dinners, including wine
- Services of B&R guide(s) and support van
- All special events and private tours
- Use of two lightweight, telescoping walking sticks
- Detailed maps and route suggestions
- Waist pack with water bottle and holder
- All baggage transportation
- All transportation from rendezvous to drop-off
- All gratuities for baggage, porters and hotel service
At Your Service
We take pride in choosing guides who are not only exceptional travelling companions, but who’ll go far beyond the call of duty to ensure an unforgettable experience.
“My wife and I are first time travelers with B&R and had a spectacular time in Tuscany.”
— Jerome Lande and Sarah Meline Lande,
Notes from the Road
- In Deep: SienaDelve deep into this perfect medieval time capsule, where (thanks to enlightened zoning restrictions dating all the way back to 1307) the palaces and churches of Siena have been preserved like nowhere else in Italy. While the resulting wealth of art …
- Rave Reviews: TuscanyWhether you’ve been working at something for five minutes or five decades, it’s always nice to hear an encouraging word (or two). And thanks to our amazing travellers, we frequently find ourselves feeling very encouraged indeed. Check out what some o …
- Tuscany Biking: The Tour of a LifetimeButterfield & Robinson is thrilled that one of our trips was once again named to National Geographic Traveler‘s list of the 50 Tours of a Lifetime. Our Tuscany Biking trip was selected as one of the Best Tours in Europe! Read an excerpt of NG Travele …