Structured Independence in B&R Style
Combining three hallmarks of any B&R itinerary—excellent hotels, beautiful riding routes and superb custom-fitted bicycles—we provide the freedom of pacing each day just the way you like. We arrange some can’t-miss meals and events, transfer your bags and equip you with all the information you’ll need to craft the trip you desire. A picnic of panini or a gourmet lunch, a walking tour of historic Siena or a dip in the pool—the choices are yours.
Moderate to Challenging
Sinalunga to Florence
6 Days / 5 Nights
Price per person from: $3,295
Single supplement: $1,000
Request your date for exact pricing
Best Time to Visit
Day by Day
Pedal a warm-up loop through the farmland of the Val di Chiana and take in an optional ride to picturesque Lucignano before dinner at the intimate Locanda dell’Amorosa.
In the heart of the stunning crete hills, visit tiny Renaissance town Pienza for lunch before looping back via Montepulciano’s vino nóbile vineyards and Trequanda’s shimery olive groves.
Ride the SP438 road to Siena, with an optional detour to the historic monastery at Monte Oliveto Maggiore. Enjoy a lesson in Tuscan reds before dining in any of the city’s wonderful establishments.
Start the morning with a guided walking tour of the Duomo and Piazza del Campo. Pedal into the Chianti hills before arriving at your castle away from home, just steps from Gaiole-in-Chianti.
Loop through quintessential hill towns like Radda-in-Chianti. Spend the afternoon lounging in one of the hotel’s two pools with its picture-perfect views of the Chianti countryside.
Linger over breakfast before a private car takes you to Florence city centre or airport.
Locanda dell’Amorosa, Sinalunga
When Carlo Citterio set out to restore the property that has been in his family for centuries, his first step was to convert the stables into a superb restaurant. Soon other buildings were refurbished: your bedroom may well have been a clock tower or the hunting lodge. Literally translated as “lodging of romance,” the Locanda exudes just that, and has long been a favourite B&R retreat. View hotel website »
Grand Hotel Continental Siena, Siena
Located in the heart of historical and vibrant Siena, the luxurious five-star Grand Hotel Continental is a recently converted 17thC palazzo, originally designed by the baroque architect Giovanni Fontana. Ponder the history of this majestic, beautifully frescoed building as you sip prosecco in the courtyard and relax in your lavish and comfortable surroundings. View hotel website »
Castello di Spaltenna, Gaiole in Chianti
A sophisticated manor, Castello di Spaltenna offers an exclusive atmosphere amidst a unique landscape. Located in the heart of the Chianti Classico wine region, the manor’s luxurious guestrooms offer any possible comfort along with wonderful views over the valley. From the grassy terraces, guests can enjoy the calm of the countryside and beauty of the surrounding landscape. View hotel website »
Moderate to Challenging
This trip is rated Moderate to Challenging. You will cover hilly terrain, but we’ve kept the average daily distance to a moderate 40 km (25 miles). As much as possible, our recommended routes avoid the steepest climbs, but please be aware that Tuscany is hilly.
You can't enjoy a great biking trip without a really great bike. On this trip you'll be riding customized Cannondales; there are three models to choose from to ensure you'll have the perfect bike. Click here for a detailed description. We also equip you with handlebar bag, helmet and water bottle.
- All hotel accommodation
- All breakfasts and one dinner, including wine
- A private guided tour of Siena
- A private wine tasting in Siena
- Use of a customized Cannondale bike: a hybrid, a racing bike with drop bars, or a racing bike with flat bars, equipped with handlebar bag and helmet
- Detailed maps, route suggestions and water bottle
- All baggage transportation
- Transportation to drop-off in Florence
At Your Service
We take pride in choosing guides who are not only exceptional travelling companions, but who’ll go far beyond the call of duty to ensure an unforgettable experience.
“Fantastic trip! The organization, accommodations, local experts and logistics were spot on, as I've become accustomed to with B&R.”
— Felicia Smith,
Tuscany Self-Guided Biking 2011
Notes from the Road
- Rave Reviews: TuscanyWhether you’ve been working at something for five minutes or five decades, it’s always nice to hear an encouraging word (or two). And thanks to our amazing travellers, we frequently find ourselves feeling very encouraged indeed. Check out what some o …
- Tuscany Biking: The Tour of a LifetimeButterfield & Robinson is thrilled that one of our trips was once again named to National Geographic Traveler‘s list of the 50 Tours of a Lifetime. Our Tuscany Biking trip was selected as one of the Best Tours in Europe! Read an excerpt of NG Travele …
- Three Minutes in TuscanyAs you may have guessed, given the name of our blog, at B&R we pride ourselves on slowing down to see the world. But every once in awhile, it can be fun to hit fast forward. B&R Guide Philipp Haemmerle did just that with video footage he shot during …