With lush rolling hills, medieval towns and nary a costumed character for miles, Tuscany is our kind of theme park. Explore hilltop towns that have stood watch since the Middle Ages. Bike the famed Crete Senesi along carefully-selected routes suitable for all ages, stay at top-notch hotels that welcome rather than just tolerate children. Take part in hands-on pasta making workshops and sample Chianti with an expert (that last one is, of course, just for the folks). Welcome to the Italy of your dreams.
Florence to Florence
6 Days / 5 Nights
Price per person from: $4,495
Single supplement: $800
See departure dates for exact pricing
Choose a Date
Day by Day
Ride through the Val di Chiana and enjoy a wine tasting at the Tre Rose estate. Adults embark on a loop ride through the rolling hills and the kids take the shortcut to the hotel for an afternoon swim.
Bike to Sanguineto, home of Attila the Hun’s famous battle against the Romans and enjoy lunch at Mamma Dina’s home, sampling some of her to-die-for homemade pasta! Spend the afternoon in the waters of Lago Trasimeno.
Pedal across quiet country roads lined with sunflowers towards the Lungarella family’s country house for lunch. Kids stop by Pienza for a gelato tasting, while parents tackle the famed rolling hills of Tuscany.
Bike to a noble home for a taste of their homemade prosciutto and a dip in their pool. Tonight, learn the secrets of making pici pasta and pizza in our own wood burning oven.
Head for the Crete Senesi, the famed clay hills just south of Siena. Walk through Siena, visiting the Duomo and the Piazza del Camp with B&R friend Lucia, who literally wrote the book on the famous mosaic floor of the Siena cathedral.
After breakfast at the hotel, we drive to Florence where we say our goodbyes at the train station. Buon Viaggio!
Alla Corte del Sole, Petrignano
Built in the 16thC as an old monastic hamlet, the Relais Alla Corte del Sole now perfectly straddles the Tuscan and Umbrian border. Its transformation into a charming villa surrounded by the lush verdant Tuscan hills fi ts us just fi ne. Be sure to take a dip in the pool. View hotel website »
Palazzo del Capitano, San Quirico d’Orcia
This recently restored property is located in the heart of the village of San Quirico and features an exclusive private garden, an indulgent spa and a fabulous restaurant. View hotel website »
The CasaBianca, a 15thC villa and working farm, has been converted into comfortable apartments in the heart of Tuscany’s most gorgeous countryside. We take full advantage of its extensive grounds while staying there. Our gracious hosts, Alba & Luigi Scaperotta, produce their own wine and olive oil, and give us a pizza-making demo using the villa’s original wood-burning oven. View hotel website »
This trip is rated Moderate. Since most towns in Tuscany are perched on magnificent hilltops, most days include some challenging climbs. Total daily biking distances average 44 km (27 mi.) with shorter distances for family rides. We’ve also planned lots of fun alternatives for young travellers. The B&R van is always nearby for those looking to hitch a ride. The activities on this trip are geared for children 12 years old and up.
You can't enjoy a great biking trip without a really great bike. On this trip you'll be riding a customized hybrid or a racing bike with drop bars. Click here for a detailed description. We also equip you with handlebar bag, helmet and water bottle.
- All hotel accommodation
- All breakfasts, four lunches, four kids’ dinners, four adult dinners including wine
- All transportation from rendezvous to drop-off
- Detailed maps, route suggestions and water bottle
- All special events, private tours, guest experts and entrance fees
- Kids’ afternoon and evening supervised activities
- Services of B&R guides and support vans
- Use of a customized hybrid or a racing bike with drop bars, equipped with handlebar bag and helmet
- All baggage transportation
- Children’s equipment, including tandems, helmets and bikes (Please note: parents wishing to pull a tandem must use a hybrid bike)
- All gratuities for baggage, porters and hotel service
At Your Service
We take pride in choosing guides who are not only exceptional travelling companions, but who’ll go far beyond the call of duty to ensure an unforgettable experience.
“Guides were friendly, approachable, and always willing to cater to any/every need. Rides were challenging and picturesque, and for those of us that wanted more kilometers and sites route suggestions were plentiful. Children were spoiled with all of the positive attention, bravo!"
— David Black,
Tuscany Family Biking, 2013
Tuscany Family Biking
Notes from the Road
- In Deep: SienaDelve deep into this perfect medieval time capsule, where (thanks to enlightened zoning restrictions dating all the way back to 1307) the palaces and churches of Siena have been preserved like nowhere else in Italy. While the resulting wealth of art …
- Rave Reviews: TuscanyWhether you’ve been working at something for five minutes or five decades, it’s always nice to hear an encouraging word (or two). And thanks to our amazing travellers, we frequently find ourselves feeling very encouraged indeed. Check out what some o …
- Tuscany Biking: The Tour of a LifetimeButterfield & Robinson is thrilled that one of our trips was once again named to National Geographic Traveler‘s list of the 50 Tours of a Lifetime. Our Tuscany Biking trip was selected as one of the Best Tours in Europe! Read an excerpt of NG Travele …