Everything About Tuscany is True
One of Italy’s most beautiful and beloved regions, Tuscany has earned every accolade and exaltation bestowed upon it. While some come for the sun and to be seen, we’ve got better plans: sumptuous spreads laid out by close friends, wine tastings at family-owned cantinas, and spectacular biking through picturesque hills. As much as we appreciate the comfort of its fine hotels, it’s the rustic charms that capture our imagination. Tuscany is magical. Believe the hype.
Bistro trips offer more independence (more meals on your own), and the hotels are likely to be stylish 4-stars instead of off-the-chart. But the heart of every one is exactly the same as our marquee trips— incredible scenery, events, insider access and B&R guides. Find out more about our Bistro trips »
Moderate to Challenging
Florence to Terontola
6 Days / 5 Nights
Price per person from: $3,995
Single supplement: $800
See departure dates for exact pricing
Choose a Date
Day by Day
Warm up in the Tuscan hills, with a lunch stop in delightful San Gusmé to stoke the legs. Ride by a top-notch wine estate and stop by for a tasting.
Loop through the heart of Chianti, take an afternoon dip in the hotel pool with majestic Siena as your backdrop then venture into town for an evening of city culture.
Ride the quintessential Tuscan road into the chalky hills of the crete. Tonight learn how to make the tastiest pizza ever in the hotel’s wood-burning oven.
Pedal along some of Tuscany’s prettiest roads to a tiny perfect Pienza for lunch and a taste of pecorino cheese. This afternoon enjoy plenty of pool time at the hotel before a casual Tuscan BBQ.
Enjoy a home-hosted lunch in the Val di Chiana, where you’ll delight in Mamma Sara’s homemade specialities. Tonight we’ll wrap up the week in style with dinner and drinks in sophisticated Cortona.
A farewell breakfast in Cortona, then arrivederci in Terontola and departure home.
Villa Curina, Castelnuovo Berardenga
Villa Curina Resort is a charming accommodation in the heart of the Chianti area. Guestrooms located in the villa date back to the 16thC and are distinguished by their elegance and Tuscan tradition. Surrounded by a luxurious Italian-style garden, Villa Curina features a gourmet restaurant producing its very own extra-virgin olive oil, from the trees surrounding Curina. View hotel website »
The CasaBianca, a 15thC villa and working farm, has been converted into comfortable apartments in the heart of Tuscany’s most gorgeous countryside. We take full advantage of its extensive grounds while staying there. Our gracious hosts, Alba & Luigi Scaperotta, produce their own wine and olive oil, and give us a pizza-making demo using the villa’s original wood-burning oven. View hotel website »
Villa Marsili, Cortona
Villa Marsili is situated inside the walls of Cortona and dates back as far as the 15thC, where the site housed the church Madonna degli Alemanni. Later in the 1700s, the site held the villa that now has become Villa Marsili. With its refined lounges, and finely furnished, frescoed bedrooms, this villa’s cozy atmosphere offers one of the town's most elegant residences. View hotel website »
Moderate to Challenging
This trip is rated Moderate. We cover hilly terrain, with average daily distances of about 49 km (30 miles). We purposely avoid the steepest climbs, but be aware that Tuscany has hills.
You can't enjoy a great biking trip without a really great bike. On this trip you'll be riding customized Cannondales; there are three models to choose from to ensure you'll have the perfect bike. Click here for a detailed description. We also equip you with handlebar bag, helmet and water bottle.
- All hotel accommodation
- All breakfasts, two lunches, and four dinners, including wine
- Services of B&R guide(s) and support van
- All special events, private tours, guest experts and entrance fees
- Use of a customized Cannondale bike: a hybrid, a racing bike with drop bars, or a racing bike with flat bars, equipped with handlebar bag and helmet
- Detailed maps, route suggestions and water bottle
- All transportation from rendezvous to drop-off
- All baggage transportation
- All gratuities for baggage, porters and hotel service
At Your Service
We take pride in choosing guides who are not only exceptional travelling companions, but who’ll go far beyond the call of duty to ensure an unforgettable experience.
“B&R’s tour 'Biking in Tuscany' exceeded our expectations! The guides were friendly, knowledgeable and very accommodating. We will definitely sign on for another B&R tour and have already recommended B&R to friends and family. Thank you to everyone who made this a terrific trip and an excellent way to experience Tuscany!”
— Richard Barnes & Shelly McLean,
Tuscany Biking 2011
Notes from the Road
- Tuscany Biking: The Tour of a LifetimeButterfield & Robinson is thrilled that one of our trips was once again named to National Geographic Traveler‘s list of the 50 Tours of a Lifetime. Our Tuscany Biking trip was selected as one of the Best Tours in Europe! …
- Three Minutes in TuscanyAs you may have guessed, given the name of our blog, at B&R we pride ourselves on slowing down to see the world. But every once in awhile, it can be fun to hit fast forward. B&R Guide Philipp Haemmerle did just …
- An Enchanting Encounter at Villa La FoceA few years ago I received a trip request from a lovely woman interested in designing a trip not only for her husband and kids, but for her extended family too: her parents, her siblings in their mid-forties and her …