Vibrant South Africa
This independent adventure weaves together the most colourful facets of South Africa: from personable shopkeepers to encounters with marine life and big game; from the peaks of the Table Mountain to the daily struggle in some of its townships below. This eight-day family journey will open up your mind—as well as your eyes.
B&R’s newest way to travel! This itinerary is one of our new locally supported, private trips. They use the hallmarks that we’re known for: great hotels, friendly and talented local guides plus memorable experiences, but it’s just your group and on the dates that work best for you.
Easygoing to Moderate
Cape Town to Port Elizabeth
9 Days / 8 Nights
Price per person from: $4,795
Request your date for exact pricing
Best Time to Visit
Day by Day
Land in historic Cape Town and explore its narrow, restored streets, art galleries, parliament buildings, Company Gardens and abundant activity along Kloof Street.
Take a cable car to the top of Table Mountain for a breathtaking view of the city and peninsula below. Later, come face to face with a domesticated cheetah at the Cheetah Outreach Program.
Visit Simon's Town, a naval hamlet located on the False Bay coast. Try sea kayaking, meet penguins on a private beach and spot right whales off the shore.
Take a half-day tour with representatives from uThando, a South African charity which focuses on community outreach and social development programs in the Cape Town area.
Explore Hermanus: a whaling station that was settled in the 19thC and is now known as the best land-based whale-watching station in the world, then enjoy an oenological adventure in the afternoon.
Head back to Cape Town and board a short flight to Port Elizabeth to explore the Kwandwe Ecca Lodge, situated in the Eastern Cape.
Spend the day today learning about the successful conservation efforts in re-establishing the game that originally populated this area. Explore the large tracts of land surrounding the Addo Elephant National Park which have been converted to private game reserves.
Try your luck spotting some of the frequent visitors to the area: lions, elephants, cheetah, leopard and rhinos – including the rare black rhino which thrives on the nutrient rich spekboom of the area.
Enjoy a farewell breakfast at the hotel before saying your goodbyes and heading back to Port Elizabeth to connect with your onward flight to either Cape Town or Johannesburg.
Cape Cadogan Apartments, Cape Town
An extension of the Cape Cadogan Hotel, the apartments are an innovative collection of restored Cape houses on a quiet street, with a central dining and reception area. The accommodation is a mix of one and two-bedroomed apartments with fully equipped kitchens and the living spaces are furnished in a fresh and modern, holiday atmosphere. View hotel website »
Grootbos Garden Lodge, Grootbos Nature Reserve
Situated on the Grootbos Private Nature Reserve in the Gansbaai area, this award-winning reserve is home to the largest Milkwood Forests in the world. The lodge is set within the fynbos and forest-clad hills which overlook the whale-watching haven of Walker Bay. View hotel website »
Kwandwe Ecca Lodge, Kwandwe Private Game Reserve
The Lodge is set into the gently sloping aloe-studded hillside banks of the Great Fish River and is an unusual construction of stone-and-mesh gabion walls, sliding glass doors and corrugated iron roofing. Fresh farm cuisine is prepared in the interactive, open-plan kitchen and the spacious lounge, dining and bar areas are airy and open with almost invisible separations between indoors and the intriguing African bushveld. View hotel website »
Easygoing to Moderate
This trip is rated Easygoing to Moderate and features plenty of uneven footing and dirt trails—but its focus is not on covering distance. Transportation to and from the day’s event is provided in most instances. The activities on this trip are geared for children 6 years old and up. If you will be travelling with smaller children, let us know and we can revise the itinerary to suit your group.
You can't enjoy a great biking trip without a really great bike. On this trip you'll be riding customized Cannondales; there are three models to choose from to ensure you'll have the perfect bike. Click here for a detailed description. We also equip you with handlebar bag, helmet and water bottle.
- All hotel accommodation
- Meals as indicated with wine (as selected by B&R)
- Services of B&R guide and support van
- Use of a customized Cannondale or Pinarello bicycle and helmet
- Use of two lightweight, telescoping walking sticks
- All special events and private tours
- All transportation from rendezvous to drop-off
- All baggage transportation
- All gratuities for baggage, porters and hotel service while in Cape Town and Winelands.
At Your Service
We take pride in choosing guides who are not only exceptional travelling companions, but who’ll go far beyond the call of duty to ensure an unforgettable experience.Learn more about our guides »
“This was our 11th B&R trip and it ranks as one of the best. The bikes were in excellent condition, the expert tours we had were outstanding, and our guides ranked as the best we’ve ever had!”
— Gary Gerst,
South Africa Biking 2011
Notes from the Road
- Morocco: A Family’s Perfect PlaygroundA country as stunningly diverse as Morocco makes a perfect playground for kids young and old. From the lush forests of its national parks to the stunning vistas of the Agafay Desert, it’s a country as rich in geographic bounty as it is in ancient cul …
- Call of the Wild: Our Favourite African AnimalsSure, it’s home to the “cradle of humankind,” but we’re far from the continent’s only inhabitants. From the proverbial kings of the jungle to the court’s perennial jesters (we’re looking at you, meerkats), the national parks are rife with African ani …
- Departures Magazine: B&R’s “Man in Africa”Published in Departures magazine | By Sophy Roberts “Butterfield & Robinson creates unusual, active experiences, including bike and walk safaris in Tanzania and Namibia. Brad Crockett, who has seven years of experience leading tours from Mali to Mada …