Spoil your Senses in Spain
From vibrant Pamplona to award-winning vineyards, the ever-changing landscapes of this part of Spain are often as dramatic and inspiring as the hotels you'll find here. The combination of cutting-edge design juxtaposed with old-world, rural living makes for amazing results. Whilst the wines of La Rioja are world-renowned, less well-known but equally as impressive is the cuisine, which is sure to delight. Mix in some truly spectacular and varied riding—and the draw to this region should be obvious to all.
Rioja Biking is a signature B&R Biking trip—expertly guided, small groups, premium hotels.
San Sebastian to Bilbao
6 Days / 5 Nights
Price per person from: $5,995
Single supplement: $1,000
See departure dates for exact pricing
Choose a Date
Day by Day
Ride through the heart of the verdant, untouched Basque hills in Navarra. Enter Pamplona through the Pilgrim’s Gate, then stroll in Hemingway’s footsteps (and the bulls’ hoofprints!) in its lively pedestrian centre.
Sip café con leche or challenge yourself with an epic ride up a pass. Roll down through quiet villages into Estella, dripping with Gothic and Romanesque gems. Sample some of Spain’s most celebrated wine: the Pago-classified Arìnzano Estate. Take a turn at the ancient sport of cesta punta or Jai Alai, a sporting tradition synonymous with the Basques.
Enjoy stunning riding through the rolling vineyards of La Rioja. Stop for a picnic in a small family-run winery, dance to the Basque music, and have fun ‘studying’ the region’s marvelously varied wines in our hotel’s chic wine bar.
Ride over the Ebro river to the tiniest town for a Michelin-starred barbecue, before pulling up to the Frank Gehry designed Marques de Riscal hotel. Stroll lovely Logroño with an insightful guide, then follow the locals tonight for dinner on its famous tapas street or at a fine restaurant.
Spin through ancient villages along quiet country roads, the Spain of yesteryear, at the vine-covered foot of the Sierra Cantabria. Wander medieval Laguardia and relax in our hotel's world-class Caudalie Spa.
Enjoy a final breakfast together before saying our goodbyes, then transfer to the cultural city of Bilbao.
Gran Hotel La Perla, Pamplona
Family-run for over 130 years, this 4-star property is set in the pedestrian heart of Pamplona. Its exceedingly warm Spanish welcome and large, comfortable rooms make for a relaxing stay, while the adventuresome are steps away from the cider and tapas bars that make this city lively year-round. View hotel website »
Hotel Viura, Alava
Nestled in the magical Rioja wine region, the Hotel Viura offers avant-garde architecture and impressive luxury, and features floor-to-ceiling windows in each of the 33 guest rooms, a superb restaurant that doubles as an art installation and the most modern of technological amenities throughout. It also rests in the shadow of the magnificent San Andres Church. View hotel website »
Marques de Riscal, Elciego
Designed by Frank Gehry—responsible for the Bilbao Guggenheim Museum—the Marques de Riscal Hotel is a masterpiece of modernity. Inside, you’ll find 43 spacious, minimal rooms fitted with full amenities, marble baths and high-speed Internet access. A Vinothérapie spa and amazing, unforgettable gastronomy round out this top-shelf property. View hotel website »
This trip is rated Moderate. For the most part the riding is on gently rolling, quiet country and vineyard roads. The average daily ride is 42 km (26 mi.), with options for more cycling on most days and a Century Ride loop option on day five.
You can't enjoy a great biking trip without a really great bike. On this trip you'll be riding a customized hybrid or a racing bike with drop bars. Click here for a detailed description. We also equip you with handlebar bag, helmet and water bottle.
- All hotel accommodation
- All breakfasts, four lunches and four dinners, including wine
- Services of B&R guide(s) and support van
- All special events and private tours
- Use of a customized hybrid or a racing bike with drop bars, equipped with handlebar bag and helmet
- Detailed maps, route suggestions and water bottle
- All baggage transportation
- All transportation from rendezvous to drop-off
- All gratuities for baggage, porters and hotel service
At Your Service
We take pride in choosing guides who are not only exceptional travelling companions, but who’ll go far beyond the call of duty to ensure an unforgettable experience.
Notes from the Road
- Insider’s Guide: Madrid HotelsAs Trip Planner Nancy Towns explains in the third of our three-part Insider’s Guide to Madrid, Madrid hotels offer an eclectic mix of authentic comfort to state-of-the-art luxury. Madrid Hotels: Where to Rest Your Head AC Santo Mauro AC Santo Mauro T …
- Insider’s Guide: Things To Do in MadridYou could be forgiven for expecting a lot from the capital city of a country as rich in culture and history as Spain. And as Trip Planner Nancy Towns explains, Madrid delivers. With an assist from B&R Guide Oscar Biedma (a proud Madrilenian), Nancy t …
- Insider’s Guide: Madrid RestaurantsEvery journey has a flavour, every place a taste. At The Slow Road believe you can’t really call yourself a cultural adventurer if you don’t embrace the local food and drink. In the first of our three-part Insider’s Guide to Madrid, we recommend a fe …