Smitten with coastal riding? Then say buongiorno (good morning) to Puglia, your beautiful new seaside paramour, featuring sun-soaked villages, glorious secular olive groves, delicious all-organic food and mile upon mile of soul-stirring biking. After an intimate dinner at a 12thC castle, an exclusive olive oil tasting (the region produces more wine and olive oil than any other in Italy), a visit to the UNESCO-protected trulli and a glass (or two) of prosecco in the shadow of a famous cathedral, you’ll receive the experience you seek—and then some.
This is a signature B&R Biking trip—expertly guided, small groups, premium hotels.
Easygoing to Moderate
Brindisi to Bari
7 Days / 6 Nights
Price per person from: $5,295
Single supplement: $800
See departure dates for exact pricing
Choose a Date
Day by Day
Ride into Otranto, then take a historic walking tour of this former Byzantine stronghold. Dine regally at an exclusive catered event in the local castle.
Cycle along the coast past ancient stone villages, prehistoric menhirs and Byzantine crypts, stopping for lunch in a masseria. Learn to make orecchiette, the regional pasta, at a hands-on cooking demo.
Spend the first of two nights in the heart of Lecce, a baroque marvel. See the city through the eyes of a local expert, finishing with a cocktail under the façade of the cathedral.
Head back toward the sea to the hamlet of San Cataldo and on to the splendid Tenuta Monacelli, a fortified farmhouse that will host us for an olive oil tasting and then lunch in its former olive mill.
Enjoy a quick tour of the Ostuni, or the “White City” with our local guide Paola. Traverse through olive groves and unwind at the stunning Torre Maizza, a B&R exclusive.
Watch the creation of fresh mozzarella at a cheesemaker’s. Explore Alberobello, the “city of trulli” and a UNESCO site, with our local guide.
Enjoy a farewell breakfast in Savelletri, then arrivederci in Bari.
Masseria Montelauro, Otranto
Located just outside of Otranto, this recently restored masseria incorporates styles from around the Mediterranean. The main building is an old original fortified farmhouse, while the furnishings are an appealing blend of Moroccan and Italian. The hotel is family owned, and we are bound to feel like guests in a southern Italian home, where hospitality is paramount. View hotel wesbite »
Il Risorgimento Resort, Lecce
Situated in the heart of historic Lecce’s old town and vibrant shopping district, this newly restored 18thC property has maintained its historic splendor which is visible throughout the building's magnificent façade and interiors. With beautifully appointed spacious rooms, fitness centre and the luxurious Salus per Aquam Spa you will feel cared for and right at home. View hotel website »
Masseria Torre Maizza, Savelletri di Fasano
The charming Masseria Torre Maizza is an oasis among the olive groves with its 26 spacious rooms, tranquil pool and panoramic rooftop bar. Aside from the splendid and relaxing common areas of the main masseria, an Aveda spa is available for those seeking extra pampering, while in finer weather visits to its private and relaxing beach club are only a short shuttle away. View hotel website »
Easygoing to Moderate
This trip is rated Easygoing to Moderate. Our first four days of biking are on rolling coastal and flat interior roads winding through olive groves. Our last two days are along rolling terrain through vineyards and groves. Daily distances range from 46 to 80 km (29 to 50 mi.).
You can't enjoy a great biking trip without a really great bike. On this trip you'll be riding customized Cannondales; there are three models to choose from to ensure you'll have the perfect bike. Click here for a detailed description. We also equip you with handlebar bag, helmet and water bottle.
- All hotel accommodation
- All breakfasts, four lunches and five dinners, including wine
- Services of B&R guide(s) and support van
- All special events and private tours
- Use of a customized Cannondale bike: a hybrid, a racing bike with drop bars, or a racing bike with flat bars, equipped with handlebar bag and helmet
- Detailed maps, route suggestions and water bottle
- All transportation from rendezvous to drop-off
- All baggage transportation
- All gratuities for baggage, porters and hotel service
At Your Service
We take pride in choosing guides who are not only exceptional travelling companions, but who’ll go far beyond the call of duty to ensure an unforgettable experience.
“B&R runs an amazing tour and the guides, Marco and Tabita helped to make our experience in Puglia both educational and light hearted! We enjoyed the wonderful bits of history along the way combined with the olive tasting, pasta and cheese making. The food was exceptional, accommodations inviting and comfortable, scenery unforgettable and the people extremely friendly.”
— Chris Ogren,
Puglia Biking 2011
Notes from the Road
- Recipes from the Road: OrecchietteWhether you’re slurping soup from the best cart in Chiang Mai or staring down a heaping helping of homemade pasta from nonna (someone’s nonna, anyway), partaking of the freshest, most delicious local fare is essential to becoming one with where …
- Immersion Kit: PugliaAt The Slow Road we pride ourselves on getting in deep and up close. If knowledge of a region is power, access is authenticity—and we’ve spent decades forging the relationships that grant us both. But the road, like so many …
- Vines 101: PugliaAt The Slow Road we believe that getting in deep and up close has as much to do with a region’s culinary culture as it does with its geography and people. And we’ll be the first to admit that for …