Smitten with coastal riding? Then say buongiorno (good morning) to Puglia, your beautiful new seaside paramour, featuring sun-soaked villages, glorious secular olive groves, delicious all-organic food and mile upon mile of soul-stirring biking. After an intimate dinner at a 12thC castle, an exclusive olive oil tasting (the region produces more wine and olive oil than any other in Italy), a visit to the UNESCO-protected trulli and a glass (or two) of prosecco in the shadow of a famous cathedral, you’ll receive the experience you seek—and then some.
Puglia Biking is a signature B&R Biking trip—expertly guided, small groups, premium hotels.
Easygoing to Moderate
Brindisi to Bari
7 Days / 6 Nights
Price per person from: $5,295
Single supplement: $900
See departure dates for exact pricing
Choose a Date
Day by Day
Ride into Otranto, then take a historic walking tour of this former Byzantine stronghold. Dine regally at an exclusive catered event in the local castle.
Cycle along the coast past ancient stone villages, prehistoric menhirs and Byzantine crypts, stopping for lunch in a masseria. Learn to make orecchiette, the regional pasta, at a hands-on cooking demo.
Spend the first of two nights in the heart of Lecce, a baroque marvel. See the city through the eyes of a local expert, finishing with a cocktail under the façade of the cathedral.
Head back toward the sea to the hamlet of San Cataldo and on to the splendid Tenuta Monacelli, a fortified farmhouse that will host us for an olive oil tasting and then lunch in its former olive mill.
Enjoy a quick tour of the Ostuni, or the “White City” with our local guide Paola. Traverse through olive groves and unwind at the stunning Torre Maizza, a B&R exclusive.
Watch the creation of fresh mozzarella at a cheesemaker’s. Explore Alberobello, the “city of trulli” and a UNESCO site, with our local guide.
Enjoy a farewell breakfast in Savelletri, then arrivederci in Bari.
Masseria Montelauro, Otranto
Located just outside of Otranto, this recently restored masseria incorporates styles from around the Mediterranean. The main building is an old original fortified farmhouse, while the furnishings are an appealing blend of Moroccan and Italian. The hotel is family owned, and we are bound to feel like guests in a southern Italian home, where hospitality is paramount. View hotel wesbite »
Il Risorgimento Resort, Lecce
Situated in the heart of historic Lecce’s old town and vibrant shopping district, this newly restored 18thC property has maintained its historic splendor which is visible throughout the building's magnificent façade and interiors. With beautifully appointed spacious rooms, fitness centre and the luxurious Salus per Aquam Spa you will feel cared for and right at home. View hotel website »
Masseria Torre Maizza, Savelletri di Fasano
The charming Masseria Torre Maizza is an oasis among the olive groves with its 26 spacious rooms, tranquil pool and panoramic rooftop bar. Aside from the splendid and relaxing common areas of the main masseria, an Aveda spa is available for those seeking extra pampering, while in finer weather visits to its private and relaxing beach club are only a short shuttle away. View hotel website »
Easygoing to Moderate
This trip is rated Easygoing to Moderate. Our first four days of biking are on rolling coastal and flat interior roads winding through olive groves. Our last two days are along rolling terrain through vineyards and groves. Daily distances range from 46 to 80 km (29 to 50 mi.).
You can't enjoy a great biking trip without a really great bike. On this trip you'll be riding a customized hybrid or a racing bike with drop bars. Click here for a detailed description. We also equip you with handlebar bag, helmet and water bottle.
- All hotel accommodation
- All breakfasts, four lunches and five dinners, including wine
- Services of B&R guide(s) and support van
- All special events and private tours
- Use of a customized hybrid or a racing bike with drop bars, equipped with handlebar bag and helmet
- Detailed maps, route suggestions and water bottle
- All transportation from rendezvous to drop-off
- All baggage transportation
- All gratuities for baggage, porters and hotel service
At Your Service
We take pride in choosing guides who are not only exceptional travelling companions, but who’ll go far beyond the call of duty to ensure an unforgettable experience.
“B&R runs an amazing tour and the guides, Marco and Tabita helped to make our experience in Puglia both educational and light hearted! We enjoyed the wonderful bits of history along the way combined with the olive tasting, pasta and cheese making. The food was exceptional, accommodations inviting and comfortable, scenery unforgettable and the people extremely friendly.”
— Chris Ogren,
Puglia Biking 2011
Notes from the Road
- Trip Tales: Chef Roberto to the Rescue!While we B&R guides pride ourselves on providing the highest standard of service, the one factor we unfortunately can’t control is the weather. So, there was nothing we could do to stop the downpour on day two of our Puglia Bistro Biking trip last Se …
- A Day (or Two) in PugliaWe’ve long known that B&R Guides Luca Pacchioni and Sonia Ter Hovanessian love Puglia. It’s a big part of the reason why we keep sending them back there. (In addition to the fact that they’re excellent guides, of course.) But when we saw the pictures …
- Reading for the Road: Books About PugliaWe at The Slow Road answer to many names (wanderers, bon vivants, students of life) but first and foremost, we’re a group of dedicated travellers. We’ve put together reading lists, which include books about Puglia —from novels to great guidebooks—tha …