A New Twist on an old Classic
We’ve been enjoying every well-trod trail and much-visited town in Provence for decades. On this trip, however, we stray outside the region’s hotspots to show you our favourite hidden gems. You’ll see authentic Provence as you experience life in perched villages like Forcalquier and Pierrerue. We’ll stay in a 17th century convent, taking you inside the labs at Occitane and, from a local observatory, learn about the red-hued houses of Roussillon on a private tour through the ochre mines. It’s a classic experience—with a twist.
Aix en Provence to Avignon
6 Days / 5 Nights
Price per person from: $4,995
Single supplement: $1,100
See departure dates for exact pricing
Choose a Date
Day by Day
Pedal from the Lure Mountain to the village of Pierrerue for lunch and continue down to the village of Mane to learn how to play the local game of Pétanque at the 17th Century Couvent des Minimes.
Bike into the Lubéron valley and shop among the market stalls. Head to the Occitane headquarters to blend your own Provençal fragrance and enjoy a fantastic dinner in a private Provencale style house.
Build up your appetite for dinner on a Century Ride via Apt and the Calavon River. Our home for the next 3 nights is at the R&C La Coquillade where only B&R gets to stay!
Experience Peter Mayle’s Provence on bike, passing picturesque villages of Gordes, Roussillon, Ménerbes, and Lacoste before a wine tasting led by former Alain Ducasse Sommelier, Kelly Mc Auliffe.
Ride through the beautiful Vaucluse Mountains, where you enjoy stunning views and a royal picnic. Our final night dinner is specially prepared for us by the Michelin Star Chef Christophe Renaud.
Enjoy a farewell breakfast in Gargas at the hotel, then au revoir in Avignon.
Le Couvent des Minimes, Mane en Provence
This early 17th century convent underwent many transformations before becoming the place of relaxation and well being that it is today. This luxurious hotel and a spa is surrounded by unique provencal character and is centuries of history. Opening out onto the interior courtyard, the gardens or the swimming pool, every room offers the same high standard of comfort. View hotel website »
La Bastide de Marie, Menerbes
This beautifully restored, centuries-old “farmhouse” is set among 37 acres of the inn’s own vineyards in the heart of the Lubéron Valley. With two pools and terraces that run the length of the house, you will be hard pressed to get up from your lounge chair. Fortunately, the chef, Laurent Houdart , is on hand to lure you to dinner with his acclaimed Provençal cooking. View hotel website »
This trip is rated Moderate. We'll ride along quiet, fairly flat roads, with a few large hills around the Vaucluse area and our final hotel. If the inclines are too steep—up to Massif des Cèdres, for example—the B&R van is there to help riders out. Daily distances average 50 km (31 mi.), with the option for a 102 km (63 mi.) Century Ride on one day.
You can't enjoy a great biking trip without a really great bike. On this trip you'll be riding customized Cannondales; there are three models to choose from to ensure you'll have the perfect bike. Click here for a detailed description. We also equip you with handlebar bag, helmet and water bottle.
- All hotel accommodation
- All breakfasts, four lunches, four dinners, including wine
- Services of B&R guide(s) and support van
- Use of a customized Cannondale bike: a hybrid, a racing bike with drop bars, or a racing bike with flat bars, equipped with handlebar bag and helmet
- Detailed maps, route suggestions and water bottle
- All special events and private tours
- All baggage transportation
- All transportation from rendezvous to drop-off
- All gratuities for baggage, porters and hotel service
At Your Service
We take pride in choosing guides who are not only exceptional travelling companions, but who’ll go far beyond the call of duty to ensure an unforgettable experience.
“We loved visiting the amazing countryside and smaller villages and felt like we were completely immersed in the French culture. The hotels and food (in true B&R form) were top-notch and far exceeded our expectations!”
— Thomas Bullock,
Provence Biking 2011
Notes from the Road
- Rave Reviews: ProvenceWhether you’ve been working at something for five minutes or five decades, it’s always nice to hear an encouraging word (or two). And thanks to our amazing travellers, we frequently find ourselves feeling very encouraged indeed. Check out what some o …
- Provence: A Light That Inspires“(Provence) has a certain elegance in the presentation of itself,” says B&R guide and Provence specialist Thilo Erhardt. “You can finish early enough in the afternoon to enjoy a glass of pastis and look at how the last sun beams repaint the landscape …
- Provence Olive OilThe Greeks believed that the cultivation of the olive tree was the hallmark of a civilized society, and they may have been on to something. Twenty-five centuries after they brought olive trees to Provence, to call the region “civilized” barely scratc …
related tripsBurgundy Biking
6 Days / 5 Nights
Dijon / Dijon
Price from: $5,495
7 Days / 6 Nights
Easygoing to Moderate
Brindisi / Bari
Price from: $5,295
Bordeaux to Dordogne Biking
6 Days / 5 Nights
Bordeaux / Trémolat
Price from: $5,695
6 Days / 5 Nights
Avignon / Avignon
Price from: $4,995