Fun at Every Age
One of the most rewarding things about travelling with kids is seeing a new place through their eyes. Nowhere is this experience more poignant than in Normandy. Rollo’s fiefdom; William the Conqueror; Operation Overlord…the region's sands have witnessed a millennium of history. While the kids sail, ride horses, and go sand-sailing on Utah Beach, the adults can sip Calvados at our private 16thC castle. Together you can explore Pegasus Bridge, view the Bayeux Tapestry and tour the American cemetery. In Normandy, fun is ageless.
Deauville to Caen
6 Days / 5 Nights
Price per person from: $5,495
Single supplement: $800
See departure dates for exact pricing
Choose a Date
Day by Day
Pedal past horse farms to postcard-perfect Honfleur, where kids (and adults, if they want) can visit the wonderful Satie Museum. Dinner is seaside at a favourite haunt of the locals.
Visit the fascinating Pegasus Bridge Museum and then bike to Bayeux, home to the famed Bayeux Tapestry. Kids spend the afternoon sand-surfing on the Channel shore.
Everyone pedals to Arromanches in the morning to take in the wonderful Landing Museum, complete with diorama mock-up. After lunch, kids head off for a sailing class.
Relive D-Day at Utah Beach and in Sainte-Mère-Église, the town made famous in the film The Longest Day. While kids horseback ride in the afternoon, parents can try the Century Ride back to the hotel.
Families stay together to experience the chills of Omaha Beach, the Pointe du Hoc and the American cemetery, and then discuss their experiences with a member of the French Resistance over dinner
Enjoy a farewell breakfast at your hotel in Port-en-Bessin, then au revoir in Caen.
Normandy Barrière, Deauville
The Normandy Barrière of Deauville features imitable Anglo-Norman architecture and comfortable, spacious rooms with stylish, traditional decoration, a view to the famous beachfront, as well as direct access to the Casino Barrière de Deauville. Located an hour from the D-Day landing point, this property perfectly weaves together luxury, excitement and vivid history. View hotel website »
Hotel Villa Lara, Bayeux
This 4-star, boutique hotel is located in the centre of historic Bayeux—and faces both an 11thC hotel and the Aure River. The contemporary rooms feature hand-made Moissonnier furniture, flat-screen televisions, air-conditioning and well-equipped mini bars; no convenience has been overlooked. The historic, 68-metre long Bayeux Tapestry is just minutes away. View hotel website »
This trip is rated Moderate. While most of the riding is relatively easy, expect the occasional challenging climb. On a couple of days, the ride is longer than the average 45 km (28 mi.), although the terrain on these days is fairly flat. Supervised kids’ activities and extra van support provide added flexibility for shortening daily rides. The activities on this trip are geared for children 8 years old and up.
You can't enjoy a great biking trip without a really great bike. On this trip you'll be riding customized Cannondales; there are three models to choose from to ensure you'll have the perfect bike. Click here for a detailed description. We also equip you with handlebar bag, helmet and water bottle.
- All hotel accommodation
- All breakfasts, four lunches (five for kids), four dinners, including wine
- Services of B&R guides and support van
- All special events and private tours
- Kids supervised events
- Use of a customized Cannondale bike: a hybrid, a racing bike with drop bars, or a racing bike with flat bars, equipped with handlebar bag and helmet
- Children’s equipment, including tandems, helmets and bikes (Please note: parents wishing to pull a tandem must use a hybrid bike)
- All transportation from rendezvous to drop-off
- All baggage transportation
- Detailed maps, route suggestions and water bottle
- All gratuities for baggage, porters and hotel service
At Your Service
We take pride in choosing guides who are not only exceptional travelling companions, but who’ll go far beyond the call of duty to ensure an unforgettable experience.
“Our family trip to Normandy was extraordinary. We loved every minute. The guides, itinerary, food, castle, chateaux… the list goes on and on.”
— Ann Derentz,
Normandy with the Kids 2008
Notes from the Road
- Reading for the Road: Books About NormandyWe at The Slow Road answer to many names (wanderers, bon vivants, students of life) but first and foremost, we’re a group of dedicated travellers. We’ve put together reading lists, which include books about Normandy —from novels to great guidebooks—t …
- Calvados and Cider: Norman TraditionsJapan has sake. Burgundy has pinot noir. Normandy has Calvados and Cider. Calvados: Double Distilled in the Pays d’Auge Calvados is aged in oak casks, from which it gets its aromatic bouquet and colour. An apple brandy from Basse-Normandie (Lower Nor …
- History Lesson: Bayeux TapestryPicture this: in a picturesque and medieval French town, gorgeous homes and intricate stone bridges are… routinely ignored. While Bayeaux certainly has its charms, in this town the top draw is an embroidered piece of cloth. (Seriously.) The Bayeux Ta …