A Royal Getaway
The picturesque Loire’s castle-lined routes have long been the playground of kings and queens, and the small country roads are perfect for biking. Here, you’ll visit the tombs of Richard the Lionheart and Eleanor of Aquitaine; explore the mysteries of the Wine Grower’s Brotherhood in Chinon’s Caves Painctes; and settle in for a fantastic lunch in the shade of a newly-restored private home. We’ll also put you up at a trio of palatial châteaux, one of which is open just for us. Now that’s royal treatment.
Loire Châteaux Biking is a signature B&R Biking trip—expertly guided, small groups, premium hotels.
Easygoing to Moderate
Montbazon - Veigné to Tours
6 Days / 5 Nights
Price per person from: $5,695
Single supplement: $1,200
See departure dates for exact pricing
Choose a Date
Day by Day
Get your first glimpse of the Château de Villandry and its amazing gardens on a warm-up ride along the gorgeous Loire River. In the evening, listen to a French history expert and learn more about the Medieval Characters.
Ride past troglodyte villages and the extraordinary Castle of Azay-le-Rideau, the famous Renaissance masterpiece also known as the "playground of the kings." Be certified as a member of the “Chinon Secret Wine Community” before dinner in the home of Michelin star Chef, M. Rigollet.
Cycle along the banks of the Vienne River through the Chinon vineyards. Experience a great cooking course by Chef Philippe Schilling and enjoy the dinner you just prepared in the vineyards.
Ride over the Loire River towards the famous wine area of the Bourgueil. Enjoy a great picnic at the Domaine de la Chevallerie in which you’ll pick your own wine for lunch after a tasting in the cellar of Stéphanie Caslot.
Take a scenic ride toward the medieval town of Amboise. Bike from the “once” Leonardo Da Vinci’s castle towards the famous Château de Chenonceaux and enjoy your last dinner at Château de Noizay in the 18th Century library.
Enjoy a farewell breakfast at the hotel in Bourgeuil, then au revoir in Angers.
Domaine de La Tortinière, Montbazon
We not only feel welcomed at the intimate Château La Tortinière, but very special when we’re there—especially since this immaculately restored 18thC castle seems straight out of a fairy tale. The château offers views over a private park in which some rare plants and trees (A 200 years old Lebanese Cedar for example) are hidden. View hotel website »
Château du Rivau, Lemeré
Located in the heart of the Touraine region, this is a private home whose owners have graciously welcomed B&R as guests. Their 12-plus-year restoration campaign has returned the 15thC historical monument to its former glory, and its whimsical gardens complete the fairy-tale setting. By staying here, you join very illustrious company; Joan of Arc was a guest here in the 15thC. View hotel website »
Château de Noizay, Noizay
This remarkable castle, located in the Vouvray wine appellation and overlooking the village of Noizay and the Loire Valley, began its construction in the 17thC and was finally finished a full century later! Owner Mme. William recently transformed the castle into a Relais & Châteaux property, maintaining the French idea of luxury and “rafinement.” View hotel website »
Easygoing to Moderate
This trip is rated Easygoing to Moderate. Most of the riding on this trip is level with gentle grades, although there is an occasional short climb. The daily distances average 50 km (31 mi.). There are two layover days, which allow for some shorter routes and, for avid cyclists, longer options including a century ride on day 3.
You can't enjoy a great biking trip without a really great bike. On this trip you'll be riding customized Cannondales; there are three models to choose from to ensure you'll have the perfect bike. Click here for a detailed description. We also equip you with handlebar bag, helmet and water bottle.
- All hotel accommodation
- All breakfasts, three lunches and five dinners, including wine
- Services of B&R guide(s) and support van
- All special events and private tours
- Use of a customized Cannondale bike: a hybrid, a racing bike with drop bars, or a racing bike with flat bars, equipped with handlebar bag and helmet
- Detailed maps, route suggestions and water bottle
- All baggage transportation
- All transportation from rendezvous to drop-off
- All gratuities for baggage, porters and hotel service
At Your Service
We take pride in choosing guides who are not only exceptional travelling companions, but who’ll go far beyond the call of duty to ensure an unforgettable experience.
“...The B&R leaders were incredibly good and all else--bikes, itinerary, special events, and fellow travelers were absolutely delightful. My husband and I had a wonderful time!
— Elizabeth Lowe,
Loire Châteaux Biking 2012
Notes from the Road
- USA TODAY: World-Famous Wines in BordeauxPublished at USAToday.com “The bicycle tour company Butterfield & Robinson calls its Bordeaux bike trip through the region “Dordogne,” as the tour concentrates on the Dordogne River. Guests stay in chateaux that qualify for the special Relais & Chate …
- Where to Eat: Beaune RestaurantsAh, Beaune. It’s our medieval jewel and our French home, the heart of Burgundy wine country. Fortunately, a varied and distinguished contingent of Beaune restaurants make the local fare served on a plate almost as enjoyable as that served in a bottle …
- The White Storks of AlsaceYou’ll see them high above the village squares, perched precariously atop slanted rooftops in their huge nests, or roaming fields of newly cut grass. For many centuries, these graceful white birds have been a yearly presence in Alsace during the warm …