Walk on the Land of Fire & Ice
Our Iceland Walking trip is a journey into the unforgettable; from soaring mountains, rumbling volcanoes and lava fields to bubbling geysers, hot springs and glaciers—each day’s a new adventure. By hiking craters to coastline, traversing hot rivers and trekking to towering waterfalls, the sense of discovery always looms large. Naturally, we balance our explorations with the comforts of Icelandic hospitality. As a favoured trip among B&R veterans, your Iceland awaits.
This is a signature B&R Walking trip—expertly guided, small groups, premium hotels.
Moderate to Challenging
Reykjavik to Keflavik via Reykjavik
6 Days / 5 Nights
Price per person from: $6,495
Single supplement: $900
See departure dates for exact pricing
Choose a Date
Day by Day
Tackle your first lava field, complete with legends straight out of the Icelandic Sagas before relaxing in a local school’s hot spring fed pool.
Admire desolate coves and crashing surf on a coastal hike on the Snaefellsnes peninsula. Summit a neighbouring volcano before experiencing the fabled Icelandic horse firsthand!
Walk to the UNESCO Word Heritage Site of Þingvellir, home of the world’s oldest parliament. Kick back in a natural hot tub with majestic lake views.
Climb aboard a super-comfortable “Super Jeep” for exploration of Landmannalaugur and Hekla Highlands, the “Icelanders’ Iceland.”
Take a trip out to the mystical Westman Islands to see their stunning topography and the largest puffin colony in the world. Visit a town buried in lava in 1973, the “Pompei of the North.”
Take a quick look around Iceland's capital Reykjavik before heading to airport for your departure.
Hotel Budir, Snaefellsnes
This immaculate hotel continues a long tradition of outstanding hospitality and exceptional cuisine. Located in a lavafield on the westernmost tip of the Snaefellsnes peninsula, Hotel Budir has been hosting distinguished guests in its majestic setting since 1948. Its restaurant has been referred to as "The Mecca of Icelandic cooking," due to its unique and delightful cuisine. View hotel website »
Hotel Grimsborgir, Þingvellir
Sitting alongside Icleand’s longest freshwater river, the River Sog, the Hotel Grimsborgir is a luxurious retreat set amidst raw beauty. Each room or apartment is complete with a lounge, sitting room and personal outdoor hot tub. View hotel website »
Hotel Ranga, Hella
With a noticeable lack of timber in the country, Rangá was entirely constructed from imported Canadian lumber, from the walls to the furniture to the remarkable bar stools (watch out for them). With just 38 rooms, it is intimate and comfortable. The location sits at the mouth of the highlands with spectacular access to Hekla, one of the country’s most impressive volcanoes. View hotel website »
Moderate to Challenging
This trip is rated Moderate to Challenging. The terrain we cover is incredibly varied. We’ll enjoy some gentle walks along beaches and through rolling countryside and more strenuous walks in the mountains, along glaciers and through canyons. Additional activities include kayaking, horseback riding and spelunking. Please be aware that hikes and/or activities may have to be changed last-minute due to climate conditions, which are highly unpredictable in Iceland. Please also note that drives can be long; this enables us to take in a huge variety of scenery and experience a multitude of landscapes.
Walking Sticks &
Included with all walking trips are Leki telescoping walking sticks and custom-made padded hip holsters, which comfortably carry one full half-litre water bottle. And while the walking sticks get “recycled” for use by another B&R traveller, the holsters are yours to keep at trip’s end.
- All hotel accommodation
- All breakfasts, five lunches and all dinners, including wine
- Services of B&R guide(s) and support van
- All special events and private tours
- Detailed maps, route suggestions and water bottle
- Use of two lightweight, telescoping walking sticks
- All baggage transportation
- All transportation from rendezvous to drop-off
- All gratuities for baggage, porters and hotel service
At Your Service
We take pride in choosing guides who are not only exceptional travelling companions, but who’ll go far beyond the call of duty to ensure an unforgettable experience.
“This trip was amazing! It gave us a wonderful overview of the country and touched on everything. The super jeeps were such a fun way to travel and their drivers were great, exposing us to the local life and providing a way to learn even more about the country.”
— Jo Anne Doll,
Iceland Walking 2011
Notes from the Road
- Where to Stay: Iceland HotelsIn Iceland the very ground you walk on is alive, hissing and crackling with energy, spewing steam from vents deep beneath the earth’s crust, pushing boiling water into mountain streams, creating new volcanic islands in the middle of the ocean. After …
- Icelanders: A Historic, Nordic CoolIceland has long occupied a unique position in in the cartography of my travel imagination—not only is it a stepping stone on the way to Europe, but for me personally, a stepping stone to my past. My grandfather was a Norwegian, lured to Canada by th …
- 48 Hours in IcelandIceland is a primordial landscape that approximates what the world must have felt like when it was first being born. The very ground you walk on is alive, hissing and crackling with energy, spewing steam from vents deep beneath the earth’s crust, pus …