Endless Family Fun in Iceland
Delve into the rugged magnificence that is Iceland, where glaciers and volcanoes abound, hot springs run wild and distant mountain ranges beg investigation. We traverse this unforgettable terrain, hiking lava fields, riding horses, caving, and glacier trekking. Add to that the abiding hospitality that defines a B&R excursion and a host of kid-friendly activities and you’re as good as here. Sure, you may never get the knack of pronouncing the overly-syllabic names, but this magical place is sure to live on forever in your family’s memory.
Easygoing to Moderate
Reykjavik to Keflavik via Reykjavik
6 Days / 5 Nights
Price per person from: $6,295
See departure dates for exact pricing
Choose a Date
Day by Day
Tackle your first lava field today, complete with legends straight out of the Icelandic Sagas before relaxing in a local school’s hot spring fed pool.
Admire desolate coves and crashing surf on a coastal hike on the Snaefellsnes peninsula. Summit a neighbouring volcano before experiencing the fabled Icelandic horse firsthand!
Walk to the UNESCO Word Heritage Site of Þingvellir, home of the world’s oldest parliament. In the afternoon kickback in a hot spring fed pool with the kids grapple with a local ropes course.
Experience Wild Iceland with a morning spent rafting on the Hvítá River and an afternoon with crampons on the Sólheimajökull glacier.
Take a trip out to the mystical and remote Westman Islands to see their stunning topography and the largest puffin colony in the world.
Enjoy a brief return to Reykjavik for last-minute shopping before heading to airport.
Hotel Budir, Snaefellsnes
This immaculate hotel continues a long tradition of outstanding hospitality and exceptional cuisine. Located in a lavafield on the westernmost tip of the Snaefellsnes peninsula, Hotel Budir has been hosting distinguished guests in its majestic setting since 1948. Its restaurant has been referred to as "The Mecca of Icelandic cooking," due to its unique and delightful cuisine. View hotel website »
Hotel Ion, Þingvellir
Built in 2008 for the Icelandair hotel chain, it has been refurbished in 2011 and is beautifully located on the slopes of Mt. Hengill, with a great view over Lake Pingvallavatn and the mountains surrounding the lake. The focus is on good uncomplicated Icelandic country hospitality. Hot springs, steam, the northern lights - it’s an area of natural activity and beauty and you’ll be certain to feel that energy, graced with the sights that surround you. View hotel website »
Hotel Ranga, Hella
With a noticeable lack of timber in the country, Rangá was entirely constructed from imported Canadian lumber, from the walls to the furniture to the remarkable bar stools (watch out for them). With just 38 rooms, it is intimate and comfortable. The location sits at the mouth of the highlands with spectacular access to Hekla, one of the country’s most impressive volcanoes. View hotel website »
Easygoing to Moderate
This trip is rated Easygoing to Moderate. The terrain we cover is incredibly varied. We’ll enjoy some gentle walks along beaches and through rolling countryside and somewhat more strenuous walks in the mountains, along glaciers and through canyons. Additional activities include kayaking, horseback riding and caving. Please be aware that hikes and/or activities may have to be changed last-minute due to climate conditions, which are highly unpredictable in Iceland. Please also note that drives can be long; this enables us to take in a huge variety of scenery and experience a multitude of landscapes. That said, our exclusive use of the Super Bus makes vehicular time as comfortable, flexible and interesting as it can be.
Walking Sticks &
Included with all walking trips are Leki telescoping walking sticks and custom-made padded hip holsters, which comfortably carry one full half-litre water bottle. And while the walking sticks get “recycled” for use by another B&R traveller, the holsters are yours to keep at trip’s end.
- All hotel accommodation
- All breakfasts, five lunches and all dinners, including wine
- Services of B&R guide(s) and support van
- All special events and private tours
- Detailed maps, route suggestions and water bottle
- Use of two lightweight, telescoping walking sticks
- All baggage transportation
- All transportation from rendezvous to drop-off
- All gratuities for baggage, porters and hotel service
At Your Service
We take pride in choosing guides who are not only exceptional travelling companions, but who’ll go far beyond the call of duty to ensure an unforgettable experience.
Notes from the Road
- Where to Stay: Iceland HotelsIn Iceland the very ground you walk on is alive, hissing and crackling with energy, spewing steam from vents deep beneath the earth’s crust, pushing boiling water into mountain streams, creating new volcanic islands in the middle of the ocean. After …
- Icelanders: A Historic, Nordic CoolIceland has long occupied a unique position in in the cartography of my travel imagination—not only is it a stepping stone on the way to Europe, but for me personally, a stepping stone to my past. My grandfather was a Norwegian, lured to Canada by th …
- 48 Hours in IcelandIceland is a primordial landscape that approximates what the world must have felt like when it was first being born. The very ground you walk on is alive, hissing and crackling with energy, spewing steam from vents deep beneath the earth’s crust, pus …