Getting Surreal in Spain
From your bike, you can see the peaks of the Pyrénées (a beautiful range of mountains) looming on the horizon. Volcanic flats stretch out ahead, leading to unbelievably pastoral fields. Along the way stand villages shaped by the hands of Roman architects, medieval craftsmen and surrealist artists. Dinner is tapas on a barbecue paired with a perfect vintage before settling in to a unique auberge or a palatial hotel. This is no dream. Welcome to Catalonia, where the unexpected happens every day.
This is a signature B&R Biking trip—expertly guided, small groups, premium hotels.
Barcelona to Barcelona
6 Days / 5 Nights
Price per person from: $4,995
Single supplement: $800
See departure dates for exact pricing
Choose a Date
Day by Day
Drive into the heart of the Garrotxa Natural Park, an ever-changing landscape of dormant volcanoes and rich soils that extends from the foothills of the Pyrénées. Pedal from the village of Santa Pau through the Garroxta to Banyoles.
Ride into the Alt Empordà, nestled between the Pyrénées and the Mediterranean with France above. Stop for a café con leche in Avinyonete and pass by the quaint village of Terrades.
Enter the largest surrealist “object” in the world, the Teatro-Museo de Salvador Dali. Bike south to the Baix Empordà through many medieval towns to the beautiful town of Madremanya where we’ll be serenaded by local Habaneras musicians.
Ride through quiet countryside and enchanting villages, including Pals, Peratallada, Monells, and Ullastret. Keen riders can challenge themselves with a Century Ride along the coast, passing lovely seaside villages.
Enjoy a stunning ride from the seaside town Tossa de Mar along the Med shore, with breathtaking views around every corner. Roll into Sant Feliu de Guixols, and later take a private boat cruise up the panoramic coast.
Enjoy a final scrumptious breakfast together at the hotel in and adéu in Barcelona.
Mas Falgarona, Avinyonet de Puigvent
This quiet and serene hotel is located just outside of charming Figueres. Built in the 15thC, it is now a stylish, contemporary hotel with all modern amenities, yet it still retains its country charm thanks to the surrounding farmland. Mas Falgarona is a labour of love of owners Severino and Brigitta, and much of the hotel’s photography is the work of their son. View hotel website »
El Raco de Madremanya, Madremanya
This accommodation comprises a magnificent 17thC farmhouse and a beautiful, contemporary style inn. Each of the hotel’s spacious rooms offers a welcoming atmosphere and features private balconies with magnificent views. This charming hotel is located in the medieval village of Madremanya and provides easy access to the beaches of Costa Brava and the Dalí route. View hotel website »
La Malcontenta, Palamos
Translated to ‘The Unsatisfied One,’ this beautiful property was named after the mother of the owner whose perfectionism was a relentless force during the creation of the hotel. Its spacious environment extends outdoors to a great garden and pool, complementing a classic Mediterranean décor. The sea is a mere two kilometre stroll away ending up at one of the most tranquil beaches along the Costa Brava. View hotel website »
This trip is rated Moderate. The riding is varied with the majority of terrain being rolling hills and flat stretches on quiet country roads. There will be a couple of challenging climbs that just require your patience and time. At your own personal pace, they can be conquered and perhaps even enjoyed, as they bring us to more amazing vistas! In order to avoid some of the busier roads, our routes sometimes include unpaved gravel and dirt roads. The days’ distances range from 30 to 50 km (19 to 31 mi.), with options for more every day.
You can't enjoy a great biking trip without a really great bike. On this trip you'll be riding customized Cannondales; there are three models to choose from to ensure you'll have the perfect bike. Click here for a detailed description. We also equip you with handlebar bag, helmet and water bottle.
- All hotel accommodation
- All breakfasts, four lunches, four dinners, including wine
- Services of B&R guide(s) and support van
- All special events and private tours
- Use of a customized Cannondale bike: a hybrid, a racing bike with drop bars, or a racing bike with flat bars, equipped with handlebar bag and helmet
- Detailed maps, route suggestions and water bottle
- All baggage transportation
- All transportation from rendezvous to drop-off
- All gratuities for baggage, porters and hotel service
At Your Service
We take pride in choosing guides who are not only exceptional travelling companions, but who’ll go far beyond the call of duty to ensure an unforgettable experience.
“Travelling with B&R is an over-the-top experience. It seems that every moment from biking in the breathtaking countryside to the luxury hotels, the food, the wine, the other travellers, and the excellent guides—all are the most memorable. The hardest part of the trip is the return to reality!”
— Betsy Sampliner,
Catalonia Biking 2010
Notes from the Road
- The Edge of the WorldRiding through patchwork fields, I passed vineyards and dry stone terraces that carved the mountains into farmable strips, which wind between medieval villages of golden stone. Researching in Catalonia, I began my voyage tracing B&R’s cycle route dow … …
- On the Road in RiojaFollowing last week’s awesome clip of our Tuscany Biking trip, B&R guide Philipp Haemmerle shares this great compilation of the Rioja Biking trip he guided last year. Great stuff, Phil! Video not working? Click here to view on YouTube. Where …
- Snapshot: AndaluciaAs both a historical gateway to Europe and a point of departure to the African continent, Andalucia in the far south of Spain has a way of enticing travellers, adventurers and the occasional band of Visigoths or Moors. It has …