Structured Independence in B&R Style
On this self-guided tour, we combine the hallmarks of any B&R itinerary—excellent hotels and beautiful walking routes—with the freedom of pacing each day just the way you like. We arrange some can’t-miss meals and events, transfer your bags and equip you with all the information you’ll need to craft the trip you desire. A morning at the market, or an extra trail loop; sandwiches from a boulangerie or a gourmet lunch; a walking tour of historic Beaune or relaxing on a terrasse; the choices are all yours.
Easygoing to Moderate
Chambolle-Musigny to Dijon
6 Days / 5 Nights
Price per person from: $2,995
Single supplement: $900
Request your date for exact pricing
Best Time to Visit
Day by Day
Explore the Côte de Nuits, the northern half of the Côte d’Or, Burgundy’s finest wine tract, walking by the famous Clos de Vougeot.
Walk through villages that lend their names to renowned bottles and embark on a historical walk through the Hospices of Beaune, whose quiet cloisters and tiled roofs are Burgundian icons.
Hike above the vineyards of Pommard and Volnay and enjoy a private, expert-led wine tasting in a traditional cave (cellar) in the town centre.
Walk from the 16thC Castle of Commarin towards the Medieval village of Chateauneuf and discover one of the “Most Beautiful Villages of France.”
Spend the day along the Canal de Bourgogne in the hidden Ouche Valley before indulging in a Michelin-starred dinner at your hotel—an ideal setting to toast your week in beautiful Burgundy.
A private shuttle timed for your convenience brings you to the Dijon train station for high-speed connections to Paris, Lyon or Geneva. Au revoir!
Château André Ziltener, Chambolle-Musigny
Set amid the vines in the tiny village of Chambolle-Musigny, the intimate yet luxurious 18thC Château André Ziltener opened as a hotel in 1993. Tastefully decorated and surrounded by a lush and peaceful garden, the hotel offers only ten quaint and comfortable rooms—meaning that the service is always excellent and we quite often have the place all to ourselves! View hotel website »
Hotel le Cep, Beaune
A collection of noble townhouses dating from the Middle Ages, Hôtel Le Cep is ideally located within steps of the historic centre of Beaune. The courtyard is a great spot to unwind over a glass of wine, and the tower staircase leads to an incredible view over the city’s medieval rooftops. Le Cep also has earned the distinction of being the hotel with which B&R has worked the longest. View hotel website »
La Cueillette, Meursault
Just recently renovated, this XIXth Century castle is perfectly located right in the center of the village of Meursault. The style is unique and combined perfectly local tradition and modern style. It’s also the only hotel in the area to offer a real spa. View hotel website »
Easygoing to Moderate
This trip is rated Easygoing to Moderate. For the most part, you’ll walk on gently rolling terrain, although there is the occasional steep climb or descent to take on. As the terrain can be rocky, footwear with good ankle support is essential. On average, we walk 10-13 km daily, with longer options available on some days.
Walking Sticks &
Included with all walking trips are Leki telescoping walking sticks and custom-made padded hip holsters, which comfortably carry one full half-litre water bottle. And while the walking sticks get “recycled” for use by another B&R traveller, the holsters are yours to keep at trip’s end.
- All hotel accommodation
- All baggage transportation
- All breakfasts and one dinner, including wine
- Use of two lightweight, telescoping walking sticks
- Detailed maps and route suggestions
- A private walking tour of Beaune
- A private tasting of regional wines
- Transportation to drop-off
At Your Service
We take pride in choosing guides who are not only exceptional travelling companions, but who’ll go far beyond the call of duty to ensure an unforgettable experience.
“This was the best self-guided walking trip we have ever been on. Thank you so much for making this type of trip available!”
— Nanette Kuich,
Burgundy Self-Guided Walking 2011
Notes from the Road
- Beaune: Our Medieval JewelA well-preserved medieval jewel in the heart of the Burgundian vineyards, wine is more influential in the history and development of Beaune than any other item or commodity. Strategically situated in the middle of the famous Cote d’Or vineyards, half …
- A Riding Revelation“Wow.” I said it more times than I can remember—and the ride lasted barely two hours. My first-ever B&R biking experience took place, appropriately enough, in Beaune, the heart of Burgundy wine country, our longtime European home. Pedalling an easygo …
- Immersion Kit: BurgundyAt The Slow Road we pride ourselves on getting in deep and up close. If knowledge of a region is power, access is authenticity—and we’ve spent decades forging the relationships that grant us both. But the road, like so many …